A. IMPORTANCE TO BUSINESSMEN/COMPANY:
- Effective Promotional Tool: Personal selling is an effective promotional tool in the hands of businessman for increasing sales. Salesman provides information about the various features and advantages of his product as well as about market developments.
- Flexible Tool: Personal selling is the most flexible tool of promotion. Sales presentation is adjusted according to the requirements of the customer.
- Minimizes Wastage of Efforts: Personal selling involves minimum wastage of efforts as compared to other tools of promotion.
- Customer Attention: The level of customer attention and interest can easily be assessed under personal selling. Thereafter, the presentation can be modified appropriately.
- Lasting Relationship: Personal selling aims at developing good and long lasting relationship between salesperson and the customer to increase sales in line with WIN-WIN philosophy.
- Personal Relationship: Competitive strength of a business organisation increases with the development of personal rapport between its salespersons and prospective customers.
- Role in Introduction Stage: By describing the merits of a product and persuading the customer to purchase it, salesperson helps in introducing a new product in the market.
B. IMPORTANCE TO CUSTOMERS:
- Helps in Identifying Needs: It helps in identifying the needs & wants of the customers so that they can be satisfied by getting the best products.
- Latest Market Information: Under personal selling, customers are provided with information regarding availability or shortage of product, the introduction of new product etc.
- Detailed Demonstration: Personal selling is the only technique through which detail
demonstration of the product takes place, which generates sales.
- Expert Advice: Expert advice and guidance can be provided to the customers while purchasing various goods and services.
C. IMPORTANCE TO SOCIETY:
- Removes ignorance: Salesmanship removes ignorance and educates people regarding different types of products and their utilities.
- Assist the society: Salesman is one of the help to increase aggregate sales. They help to
maintain equilibrium between demand and supply
- Employment Opportunities: It provides an opportunity for unemployed people to work as salespersons for earning income.
- Mobility of Sales People: Travel and tourism in the country get promoted by the mobility of the people from one place to another.
D. IMPORTANCE TO THE GOVERNMENT:
The Government also receives maximum utility out of salesmanship. Salesmanship helps the producers to produce and sell more goods and services. As production and sale in country increases, the Government is able to get more revenue by way of various taxes, duties and levies like sales tax, income tax, excise duty, freight and transportation charges. It contributes to GDP growth of the country.